Sunday, March 10, 2013

The little things

There are a few things I fail to understand (it could also just be my stubbornness, I'll let you be the judge of that).
As I've mentioned before,  I believe in Kenya, the country has resources and the potential to go far, but I'm not sure its people are ready for it.

The election is finally over, not sure what to say; the fact that Kenyans have chosen a leader that is set to face trial in July at the International Criminal Court, in The Hague for alleged crimes against humanity after the 2007 elections says a lot. The fact that most people actually don't seem to give a fuck about the qualities of a leader, rather which tribe he belongs to is something I'm struggling to understand. I haven't met anyone who hasn't ask me what tribe I belong to. I wish my answer of being a Kenyan would be enough, but no - so I've learned to smile and say that I am a Luhya, from Maragoli, my mum's tribe (of course leaving out the detail about also being half Kikuyu).

It's not only the tribe thing,  with the tribes comes more than 40 different languages. I'm struggling with my Swahili,  but people tend to speak Kiluhya with me, when I say I only speak a little Swahili,  no Kiluhya,  all they hear is that I don't speak either. Oh, and the whole religion thing,  it's apparently not enough that I believe,  they turned that into me being scared, I obviously have to be saved by Christ.
The other day someone even commented on my names being way too European, 'you even took their surname' as if that's something that bothers them, not even realizing that I actually have a Kenyan middle name. 
I recall India,  exchanging 'good names' everyone's name is good in India and you can be any religion,  no one cares. So, I just smile instead, and think at least this man didn't tell me I 'betrayed my country by leaving it for Sweden'. And then we have the fat rich men, that see me as an investment,  someone that clearly should promote them in Sweden,  cuz' what they do is simply the best and everyone in the west are filthy rich, including me.I should also give up being a free soul, be blessed with a good husband and start my life in Kenya. 

These are some of the things I get to hear daily. I'm getting used to all of it,  not getting upset that I see things differently,  because I know there's hope, there are a few people who are unique,  understand the problems that their facing. I believe in them,  they are the future and hopefully the others will start to understand and change their narrow way of thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment