Thursday, March 28, 2013

The one with all the fear

After a month I probably shouldn't panic about the chaos like traffic, but I still do, insanely terrified, totally convinced that I will die. Not sure if people here are really good drivers,  or terribly bad - they get themselves into the most unpredictable situations, yet they actually manage to get themselves out from them to. 

They also have this weird,  but kind of fascinating system with hitting the outside of the vehicle as stop buttons, all the so called conductors also seem to know how to whistle really loud,  and know how to jump on and of the moving vehicle.  Still trying to understand how the drivers know exactly were to stop.
Sitting in front is actually the worst for me, I see everything!  Holding my breath listening to some gangsta rapping about 'bitches to move' doesn't make it better. I also think that we will crash,  I'll end up flying through the front screen and most likely die.
Sitting behind the driver,  I still think I might die, or at least get minor injuries,  like a broken arm or foot. I need both arms and legs in order to work...

The motorbikes are actually not better. At first I thought I'd like them more than the matatus,  the feeling of being free, feeling the wind in my hair, then I realized that we could still get hit by cars or buses, the wind part; it only messes my hair. So I learned to braid my hair, and I also learned not to wear a short skirt, with every bump on the road, the skirt seems to slowly wander upwards, which in turn creates awkward moments. I also realized that I was still frightened to death, desperately holding on to the poor driver.  Every stone, every slight movement to the side I'm certain that exact moment will be the last. It's totally crazy, I've obviously survived so far and tomorrow I'm travelling to the Mombassa.

No comments:

Post a Comment