Tuesday, April 9, 2013

You learn to love the things you've got.

I'm adding up my travel hours, I've now reached what might probably turn out to be my biggest challenge so far on this trip, I've reached the village.
What's the big challenge one might wonder?  Well, being used to electricity and fresh water as something daily,  I'll be without both during my time here in Manyonyi. 

It's a huge difference, but then again, coming back to Sweden, having electricity and running water will be way more appreciated. One tends to appreciate everything so much once you've been without it, a very good experience.
So far things are good, as I expected, my relatives are divided in their opinion about my life, half of them understand the travelling part, how privileged and lucky I am to be able to work and them travel. The other half (the men in our family) think it's a waste of time and money, letting me know that I better get a higher education (in order to provide them with money)... Instead of freaking out like I normally do, I've once again learned to smile, thinking that it's thanks to the current job I have that this visit and the stuff they got is possible, but unfortunately they will never really understand that, and I've learned that there's no point in trying to explain it anymore either. In the end, I just try to convince myself that everyone is equally happy to have me here. In a way, it actually feels a bit like home, and that's pretty much good enough for me. Besides, I'm selfish enough to be proud that I've been in Kenya for six weeks by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment